Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The first week

This is where Alanna spent her first 4 days...on the bili lights. I think this might have been more painful for us than her, but she might think differently. The first week home from the hospital I'm always very emotional so when the baby cries I cry. Needless to say we both spent a lot of time with tear soaked cheeks. This time even when Chloe cried I cried, but that's a different story. Poor Jason...a house full of emotional girls!

Alanna had jaundice, so she had to be on the lights 24/7, except during feedings and diaper changes. Not only did she have to be on the lights, but she had to be stripped down to her birthday suit (and diaper) and then lay flat on her back with her arms in a jacket straight out to her side (see below). This position is the complete opposite of what a baby is used to so she obviously didn't like it. She would cry nonstop and I even called the doctor to ask if this was healthy for the baby. Fortunately she got used to the tanning bed and even slept on it at night. We were able to take her off the lights on Christmas day so she got her Christmas wish to be cuddled all day long!


3 comments:

Heather said...

Alanna is beautiful! I am sorry to hear about your bili-lights adventure. Not fun, not fun at all.

Dawnelle Anderson said...

congratulations on your new bundle of joy. She is beautiful

Jody said...

I can see that she looks like Chloe in theses pics. Both of them are such beautiful girls. Love Grandma Jody