Saturday, July 17, 2010

2010 4th of July Weekend: Part I

For the 4th of July Weekend we went to my Dad's cabin in Wyoming. We usually go over Memorial Day weekend, but this was a nice change because the weather was 100 times better. We got there just in time for dinner the first night and we had yummy taco soup. Chloe ate it up which surprised me because it had beans and stewed tomatoes in it. I guess everything tastes better when you're on vacation. Nights were less than desirable at the cabin. The first night Chloe woke up a few times disoriented and then Alanna decided to start waking up extra early. The definition of "vacation" changes drastically with kids. :) Anyway, we had a relaxing morning then we packed up for a picnic and headed for the red cliffs. I guess I was so worried about Chloe falling off the cliffs that I didn't get a picture of them, but they are beautiful. All the lush green pine trees are set against the bright red rock. Jason and I drove the Polaris up the trail and Grandma and Grandpa had the kids with them. Wyoming is a great place to see wildlife, and, in fact, one of our traditions is the first person to spot a moose gets a new outfit. Grandma Flo almost always wins that one. The moose weren't out on this trip, but we did see one later that day. When we got to the picnic spot we discovered the bad part that comes with good weather...mosquitos. Yuck!!! As soon as we stepped out of the vehicles the mosquitos were swarming us. I think i put on like 10 coats of insect repellent.

We hiked up a little trail to our picnic spot and Chloe was a trooper. She never asked to be carried or whined about the hike (once again just like her dad). At the top of the trail was a perfect spot for a picnic so we chowed down. When we were getting close to finishing the wind picked up and it started to get a little chilly so we packed up the food and headed back to the cabin to welcome the other half of the troops. On the way back we spotted a deer, but deer are not deemed worthy of a new outfit. Bummer!










No comments: